The bouncer accused of stabbing a young Marine to death outside a Boston bar has been arraigned on a new assault and battery charge stemming from an alleged incident two weeks before the stabbing.
“The victim stated while inside of (the White Bull Tavern), he took off his shirt and was eventually asked to leave. The victim stated when he got to the front door he was punched by approximately five bouncers from the bar,” the police report on the March 6 early morning incident states. “The victim stated he fell onto the ground and continued to be punched.”
Alvaro Larrama, a 38-year-old East Boston resident, is accused of walking up from his post at the door of the Union Street Sons of Boston bar to the neighboring White Bull Tavern to join in on the punching. He was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court Wednesday morning on the new assault and battery charge and had a plea of “not guilty” entered on his behalf.
The assault and battery alleged incident comes almost two weeks before the March 19 stabbing death of U.S. Marine Daniel Martinez, 23, who was in Boston from home south of Chicago to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
Larrama, who is in jail following his earlier municipal court arraignment, was indicted for the Martinez murder and will be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court on June 30. He’s scheduled to reappear for the assault and battery charge on Aug. 26.
Larrama, a father of four, looked back into the gallery in court Wednesday until he located a woman with dark hair — who may have been a wife or a girlfriend — and offered a brief smile before returning to face the judge. The woman had no comment for reporters when she walked out of the courtroom, escorted by court security staff, and draped her hair over her face when she entered the courthouse elevator to avoid television cameras.
Following the hearing, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office announced that another Sons of Boston employee, Alisha Dumeer, 34, of Everett, has been indicted on a charge of accessory after the fact to murder related to the stabbing death of Martinez. Details of her case will not be known until her arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court on June 30.
“At the licensing hearing, the Sons of Boston essentially claimed that this was just a rogue employee, a one-time thing, nothing they could have done. They couldn’t have known. And now we learn there’s an allegation of a similar incident 13 days earlier while he was working at Sons of Boston,” said attorney Thomas Flaws, of the firm Altman Nussbaum & Shunnarah, who represents the Martinez family in a civil suit against the bar, following the hearing. “And that’s trouble.”
The city pulled the entertainment license — which includes not only live entertainment but even a license for just playing music — for the business, which is owned by Causeway Union, within days of the stabbing.
The city’s Licensing Board found in April 5 questioning of representatives of the bar that the business had not performed a background check on Larrama — who had previously served time for larceny convictions and a drug-related crime.
The business’ operational license was indefinitely suspended two days later, with Licensing Board Chairwoman Kathleen Joyce adding that, “The entire security operation from beginning to end was a failure” and that she doesn’t “believe that they are operating a law-abiding business.”
Suffolk County DA Kevin Hayden said in a statement that the case remains under investigation.
“This is a case that not only involves the fatal stabbing of Mr. Martinez but also the actions of people, including these two defendants, immediately after that stabbing,” Hayden said. “Our investigation is continuing and if additional charges are warranted, they will be pursued.”
BOSTON, MA – April 7: Sons of Boston on April 7, 2022 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Staff Photo By Matt Stone/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)